ACE WATER 2: Minutes of the Kick-Off meeting of phase II
NEPAD African Centres of Excellence (CoE) – Phase II
Cape Town, 24-26 May 2016
This project, requested by the African Ministers of Water to DG DEVCO, aims at supporting the establishment of Human Capacity Development Programme of the AMCOW in the Water Sector, strengthens institutional networking and improving research support to policy making by scaling up the approach of the pilot phase (phase I).
The main activities of the project consist in:
- Strengthening of two existing NEPAD water Centres of Excellence networks in Western and Southern Africa;
- Expanding the NEPAD water Centres of Excellence network to Central and Eastern Africa;
- SCIENTIFIC ACTIVITES COMPONENT (SC): Strengthening institutional networking and improving research support to policy making in the water sector on the following topics:
- Analysis of the Climate Variability in Africa;
- Water Resources Security and SDGs – Online Atlas on Water Conflicts and Cooperation;
- African Water-Energy-Food Security Nexus Assessment;
- HUMAN CAPACITY COMPONENT (HC): Supporting the implementation of the African Water Ministers’ declaration urging AUC and NEPAD Centres of Excellence to develop a “Human Capacity Development Programme for junior professional and technician level capacity challenges in the water sector”.
Concerning the geographical scope, in line with the available budget (whole budget of 5 million euros until 2019), the project will be implemented:
- At regional level in three regions: Southern Africa, Western Africa and Eastern/Central Africa;
- At country level in: 5 countries in Southern Africa, 4 countries in Western Africa, 5 countries in Eastern and Central Africa.
The project will be implemented with the coordination of the DG JRC and the support of UNESCO that will be in charge of the Human Capacity activities. The Commission decision was signed in August 2015 and the implementation of the project started in January 2016.
During the kick-off meeting, the project was presented to the project partners (Centres of Excellence and stakeholders) :
- Presenting the objectives and two components of the project: the component “scientific activities” led by the JRC the component “human capacity activities” led by UNESCO;
- Discussing and outlining potential collaborations and planning implementation of foreseen activities (general discussion and in groups);
- Discussing and planning the setup of the new Eastern and Central African Network; and,
- Developing the 1st year implementation plan.
- 24 MAY 2016.
- 25 MAY 2016.
- 26 May 2016.
- Next steps
- ANNEXES.: all presentations and documentation by day